How To Build A Spaceship Earth
We were out at EPCOT last weekend and the subject up on how they built Spaceship earth. So I took a dive into the Internet archives and found a few photos of the construction of this massive structure and a couple interesting facts to.
Did you know:
- The outside is made up of 11,324 triangle shaped tiles.
- Construction took 26 months and 40,800 man hours to complete.
- The pylons which support the structure are sunk 120 feet into the ground.
- The sphere’s diameter is 165 ft
- The sphere’s circumference is 518.1 ft
- The volume is 2,350,000 ft cubed
- The structure weighs 15,520,000 lbs.
- All the water collected from the structure is funneled through a gutter system that takes the water into the World Showcase Lagoon.
- The structure is 18 stories tall.